Burn Permit

Permit Conditions:

  • Any special conditions included with a permit are to be considered as part of "conditions to burn".
  • The fire must not be left unattended until it is entirely extinguished.
  • If any permit condition is not followed, then the permit is immediately invalid and you will be burning illegally.
  • If you do not understand the law or have further questions, contact Don Turner, Jr., Milton Town Forest Warden at 802-893-1419 before you burn.
  • Only natural wood materials may be burned under this permit. Other materials require an Air Pollution permit as well as this permit.
  • The person setting the fire must at all times have sufficient help and tools present to control the fire.
  • Restricted materials cannot be used to ignite natural wood materials.
  • This permit in no way relieves the person to whom it is granted from any liability related to the fire or any damages it might cause.
  • This permit may be cancelled for cause at any time.
  • Violation of the conditions of this permit may result in the permittee receiving a "Vermont Fire Prevention Ticket" which will result in court action and a fine for each day of violation.
  • This permit is valid only for the place and time stated.

IMPORTANT: If your fire escapes call 911

Burn Permit Form

Complete a Burn Permit Form to request permission to burn from the Town Forest Fire Warden. Before completing this form, please review the permit conditions and other information related to burn permits on this page. If you do not understand the law or have further questions, contact Don Turner, Jr., Milton Town Forest Warden at 802-893-1419 before you burn.

Permits Information

Town forest fire wardens are responsible for the issuance of burning permits in their town.

Permission to burn is granted only if the town fire warden deems it is safe to do so. During periods that local or statewide bans on issuing permits are in effect, no permits may be granted.

A burning permit from a town forest fire warden does not substitute for an air quality open air burning permit. When any air quality permit is issued, a permit from the town fire warden will be a condition of that permission.

Brush Fires

A permit from the Town Fire Warden is required for burning brush, weeds, or grass, if within 200 feet of woodland or fields containing dry grass or other inflammable plant material adjoining woodland, except when there is snow on the site.

A warden may refuse to issue a permit if in their judgement the weather or the site conditions create a dangerous situation.


A person is not required to have a permit for a campfire (any fire for cooking or warming) on their own land.

A person is required to have permission for a campfire on lands of another between April 1 and November 1 and such permission can be obtained only from the owner of the land.

Provisions Applying to all Fires at all Times

Fires kindled for the purpose of burning brush or for other lawful purpose shall be kindled only at such times and under such conditions as will enable the parties starting them to keep them entirely under control and not creating a public nuisance or hazard. Fires must be attended at all times.

A person who builds a fire in or adjoining any woods shall totally extinguish such fire before leaving it.

NOTE: According to the Bylaws of the Birchwood Manor Mobile Home Park no burning is allowed.

State of Vermont - Department of Forests, Parks and Recreation Burning Permits and Regulations (PDF)